MEA E-Bike Dynamometer System According to
EPAC/EMC Standard / Inertial Dynamometer
MEA EPAC – ELECTRIC BIKE TEST SYSTEM
E-bicycles, also known as pedelecs (short for pedal electric cycles) or EPACs (electric power-assisted cycles), represent a more and more popular variation of the traditional bicycle. E-bicycles feature a small electric motor that provides power to the bicycle’s drive mechanisms, reducing or eliminating altogether the physical energy normally required. As such, they are particularly useful for long bicycle trips, or for traveling over difficult terrains. The MEA dynamometer system is working according to standards for road vehicles including EPACs (EN 15194:2009-06) and/or PAS. The system can be used for pedelecs and for all sorts of motorized bicycles, tricycles, quadricycles, cargo-bikes, and others, with or without pedal combination.
MEA’s implementation of the standard, combined with unique patented capabilities, enables you to defy the great challenges and enables your support engineers in their efforts to continuously improve electric drives. In addition, the system enables us to fulfill the safety tests, according to the standard EN 15194 EPAC, Appendix C. The MEA EPAC is full turnkey systems. The scope of the MEA EPAC is comprised of AC induction servomotors as loading motors with high-resolution encoders, high-accuracy torque sensors, integrated power analyzers, and temperature measurement modules, together with unique dynamic tests during the motor acceleration period.
FOUR-QUADRANT OR HYSTERESIS BRAKE:
- Speed range: 0 ~ 80 km/h.
- Driving power: 100 W ~ 3 kW.
- Driving power: Up to 30 kW for Cargo-bikes and Quadricycles.
- Rated torque: Up to 50 Nm.
- Three independently selectable drive units for front-, rear-, and pedal-powered drive.
- Drive directions fit automatically FWD/RWD.
- Simple wheelbase adjustment.
- Speed or Torque control.
- Drive Load simulation, changing automatically between motoring and generating, including Pedal Motion Simulation.
- e-Bike Passenger Weight simulation via load-cell.
- User-defined simulation sequences, in advance
E-BIKE UNIQUE TESTING CAPABILITIES
- MEA patented Inertial Dynamometer, allowing you to perform the Load testing without connecting the EPAC (E-Bike) motor to any mechanical load, from Stall up to
No Load (Torque, Speed, Current, Voltage, Power Output, Power Input).
- Dynamic Data: Ripple Torque, Friction Torque, Friction
- Spectrum, Speed & Torque Spectrum, Back EMF.
- Spectrum, Speed & Torque Spectrum, Back EMF.
E-BIKE BATTERY SIMULATION
- Regenerative DC power supply with Four-Quadrant operation.
- Battery resistance, charging and discharging simulation.
MAIN SYSTEM CAPABILITIES/FEATURES
- Independently selectable drive units, for front-, rear-, and pedal-powered drive.
- Speed Control mode.
- Torque Control mode.
- Accurate measurements of speed, torque, and motor rating, as calibrated speed and torque sensors, are integrated into the system.
- All test results are displayed in tables and graphical curves and can be saved for documentation and analysis.
- Temperature measurements with thermocouples.
- Battery power simulation.
- Measurement of electromagnetic radiation with a load of 75% ±10%, according to CISPR 12.
- Measurement of electromagnetic immunity with condition 90% of assistance speed.
- “Standstill” monitoring for testing of the electromagnetic immunity.
- Special adjustment/calibration of the wheelbase, that includes:
- Tire width adjustment.
- Tire diameter calibration.
- Special adaptation for the foot pedals.
- Simulations of the pedaling motions of the pedals.
MEA FOR EPAC BICYCLES:
An EPAC “electrically power-assisted cycle” bicycle is a “bicycle” if:
- The motor-driven support speed does not exceed 25 km/h.
- There is also the pedal force/pedal movement-activated with the motor.
- The motor output power is a maximum of 250 W.
- Starting support” does not exceed a maximum of 6 km/h.
The MEA EPAC Bicycle tester gives you the option to:
- Control the requested speed from each individual drive – front-wheel drive, rear-wheel drive, pedal drive.
- Change the load for each tire, according to the different requested conditions.
- Simulate uphill, downhill, and pedal movement drives.
The system is designed to comply with the standard request for high-frequency emission, enabling the electromagnetic immunity test. In addition, the system includes an output function for scaled voltage, enabling automatic testing at the EMI laboratory, showing speed ripple as a function of the test frequency.
SYSTEM SUITABLE FOR:
The motor is accelerated from 0 to the no-load speed. The load used is the moment of inertia of the motor’s rotor + flywheel. From the acceleration period, the system gives the complete motor load performances, together with additional dynamic unique testing, such as ripple torque, cogging, friction, and back EMF. Since the entire measuring time is very short (Acceleration time), the motor has no time to warm up. In such a way, the motor characteristics are given at constant pre-defined temperature. The method is very accurate (± 0.2%) test results are very well reproducible, regardless of the operator and independent of any brakes, especially of their additional mechanical losses. The method clearly shows the influence of the temperature on motor performance and efficiency. The system includes a very user-friendly software, presenting the data in graphs and tables, and saving them for evaluation, comparison, quality assurance, etc.
- Complete load performance (Torque, Speed, Current, Efficiency, Power Input, Power Output.
- Additional tests: Cogging, Back EMF, Friction Torque, Ripple Torque.
- Fully implements standards IEC Std 9651-2008; IEC Std 60034-2-1-2007; IEEE Std 112-2004.
- CE quality certification.
- Full turnkey system for motor characteristic testing and analysis, including acceleration, steady-state, deceleration.
- Not limited to the torque and speed of the motor.
- Accuracy ± 0.2%.
- Easy maintenance.
The testing system includes a very user-friendly software:
- Operation interface in various languages.
- Go/No Go test.
- Metric unit and Imperial/Customary unit.
- Unique data analysis connecter, easy for the compared difference between theoretical values and actual test values.
- Universal data report, PDF, EXCEL.
- Remote assistance system, providing timely service.
- Flexible database with Import and Export options.
- Desktop software version, to be used in other computers, that enables analyzing the system data from any computer.