About the Customer:
IAI – Israel Aerospace Industries is a world leader in both defense and commercial markets, delivering state-of-the-art technologies and systems in all domains, air, land, sea, space, cyber, home, and security.
In the Air
IAI provides a wide range of solutions and services for aerial defense – from special mission aircraft and advanced unmanned aerial systems (UAS), to precision-guided munitions, multi-layered missile defense, etc.
IAI is a leading integrator of space technology, with dozens of satellites deployed in space. IAI provides observation and communication satellite systems, etc.
From state-of-the-art battle management and communication systems, through targeting and navigation technology.
Reigning strong on the naval front, IAI offers integrated maritime systems, manned and unmanned security and fast-attack vessels, attack systems, and anti-air/missile defense systems.
Challenges and Solutions:
IAI was looking for an electric motor testing system that would be used to test the different electric hardware applications and motors at laboratory, simulating the conditions they will have in final application.
IAI applications include: electric airplanes and drones, electric vehicles, robots, etc.
All applications include unique, lite weight motors and controllers with high torque and speed.
About the Product:
IAI’s laboratory system includes the capabilities of testing motors from 1 kW up to 140 kW, with their hardware. The system has the option for future upgrade to test motors of up to 300 kW.
System Selected Capabilities:
ISI’s system includes:
- Tested Control Loops (Voltage, Speed, Torque).
- Complete load performance testing: Torque, Speed, Current, Efficiency, Input Power, Output Power.
- Automatic temperature rise test: Thermocouple and/or PT-100 and/or thermistor (all types) device with 4 to 16 temperature channels, Current, Voltage, Speed, Torque, Input Power, Output Power, all synchronized to each temperature measurement, and all can be tested with S1 to S8 – IEC duty cycles of operation for electrical motors.
- Load from Excel – Load according to predefined Table or Formula.
- Fan load simulation, at different static and dynamic conditions.
- Battery simulation capabilities are performed with Bidirectional power supply of up to 1000 V / 1000 A.
- Unique Battery testing capabilities that include SOC (State of Charge) script and SOD (State of Discharge) script, for simple and advanced batteries.
- Battery Simulation: Battery cycle testing (Charge/Discharge), Battery SOC (State Of Charge) script and Battery SOD (State Of Discharge) script, during advanced battery simulation and simple battery simulation; Special feature: Low voltage dip at current transient; System includes Output Filter with high capacitance; Testing at U mode: Voltage Control (CV).
- Battery Testing: I+ mode: Current Control (CC+); I- mode: Current Control (CC-); P mode: Power Control (CP), CC-CV, Step for cut-off condition (ET, EV, EC, CC time, CV time, Cap%, etc.), Protection (OV & LV, OC & LC, OT).
- Generator testing – ISG.
- Standard electrical parameters testing: HV, Vibration, Noise, and others.
- Additional testing: Cogging, Back EMF, Friction, Friction Spectrum, Ripple Torque.
- Performance Generating mode & Performance Motoring mode that includes: Stall Torque, Cogging Torque, Back EMF RMS, Open Circuit Back EMF, Back EMF Constant KE, No Load Coupled & Uncoupled, Torque Ripple Measurements at Low RPM & at High RPM, Electromechanical Time Constant, Voltage and Current Harmonics, Load from Excel File, Speed Torque Scope Viewer, Deceleration Test (MOI Calculation), Servo Bandwidth (Speed Loop & Current Loop), Dynamic Testing during acceleration and deceleration, Friction vs. Speed & Friction Drag Torque, Torque Speed FFT, Performance at Variable Voltage, Inductance Test 3 Phases, Vibration; ISG Tests: Generation Characteristic; ISO Efficiency Tests: ISO Efficiency and ISO Efficiency Contour.
- Hardware-in-the-Loop (HiL) solutions for nose-wheel steering, iron bird & ISTR rigs.
- Applications where the Motor Under Test (MUT) can be BLDC, PMSM, and other unique motors. The MUT could be controlled via CAN, PWM, Analog, and other types of communication protocols.
Photos of the Customer’s system at their facilities: